Skip to main content

Susan's 2nd and 3rd weeks at the Foeldi Clinic


For those of you wondering how Susan has been getting on at the clinic, here below her updates from Lymphoedema Ireland

Weeks 2 and 3 from the Foldi Clinic



 Compression  bandages Susan’s bandages and foam pieces

Apologies for the delay in posting but I do have a good reason. On Saturday October 7th, on a day out in Freiburg with both legs bandaged, I fell and fractured my left elbow. It’s not bad, a hairline fracture, but I’m in a cast for 2 weeks and typing one handed isn’t easy.
So now 3 limbs out of 4 are bandaged which has made the last 11 days challenging to say the least. The weather has been great, 26c today, but it’s not easy walking in that heat. I was sent from Foldi to the Helios Clinic in Neustadt for an X-ray on my elbow. I was in, x-rayed, and cast on in 50 minutes. Pretty impressive.
Now back to my lymphoedema. I’m so happy with my treatment and every day my legs are a little smaller and less fibrotic. The lymph drainage massage is not like the soft butterfly touches we hear of so often. My therapist really massages very strongly even to the point where I have to ask her to go a little easier. She told me that when she was being trained by Herr Prof Foldi he told her to always listen to the tissue as she massaged. So if the tissue was fibrotic and hard then the corresponding massage had to be strong to break down the fibrosis. Also my right leg, which is my worst, has been slower to respond so over the last few nights, she asked me to remove the very top bandage just before I go to bed. She felt that this might somehow release the lymph to flow as the pressure from the bandages decreased. This has really worked for me, so it might be something some of you could try.
I’m really having a love hate relationship with Foldi. Apart from the treatment I do love the scenery, weather, a brilliant therapist, days out to great places and meeting people from all over the world. I hate the food, 5.30am starts, the very long weekends and missing home.
So 12 more days from tomorrow until I’m home! I’m attaching a photo of all the foam pieces and bandages that go on my 2 legs every day and all weekend. No pain no gain 😂

Comments

Seiden care for oedema sufferers - click the logo

Popular posts from this blog

Ninja's fighting Lymphoedema

Today I wanted to highlight one of the bigger not for profit oedema groups outside of the UK where we have the excellent LSN (Lymphoedema Support Network) Hence...Ninja's Fighting Lymphoedema https://greatnonprofits.org/reviews/ninjas-fighting-lymphedema-foundation/340252 Mission : Ninjas Fighting Lymphedema Foundation is a non-profit organization with a strong patient to patient understanding. Our focus is to prevent disease, improve community health and promote LE awareness worldwide. Target demographics : assist eligible patients with out of pocket expenses. Treatments consist of products, devices, therapy, and in some cases surgery. Most insured patients have to pay out of pocket portions if approved. Therapy is only covered for a short period of time. Once all benefits are used then what? Ninjas Fighting Lymphedema Foundation is committed to improving the quality of life for patients with lymphatic diseases. Geographic areas served : Missouri https://www.faceboo

Could a Topical Cream Prevent Lymphedema? Study in Mice Suggests Yes

This would be fantastic news - it seems a little way off but there is always hope Summary Mounting evidence implicates inflammation as a cause of lymphedema, a common side effect of cancer treatment. Topical drugs that suppress this inflammation may hold promise as a therapy. Highlights Previous research has shown that immune cells promote the inflammation that leads to lymphedema. Drugs that block the action of these cells may be one way to combat the condition. In mice, an FDA-approved anti-inflammatory drug applied to the skin prevented lymphedema from developing and treated it once it occurred. One of the most dreaded complications of cancer treatment is lymphedema — the uncomfortable and often disfiguring accumulation of fluid in the arms or legs. The condition is progressive and there are no known cures. Lymphedema most commonly occurs following the removal of lymph nodes, a procedure that can injure the delicate vessels of the lymphatic system, which helps

Lipoedema - a frequently misdiagnosed and misunderstood fatty deposition syndrome

In this online presentation Margarita Correa MD takes us through the background of Lipoedema, the co-morbidities, the lab background etc https://www.slideshare.net/physmedi/lipedema-fatty-tissue-deposition-syndrome?trk=v-feed For me this is great knowledge to try to understand exactly what lipoedema sufferers have going on. Virtually everything you need to know is in this presentation! Happy reading.(learning in my case)